My Birth Daughter's 13th Birthday Letter by Terri Rimmer

Aug. 14, 2013

Dear McKenna:

So now you're going to be a teenager tomorrow.

Lots of things have happened this year for you:

You made symphonic band, finished babysitting class, progressed with your piano playing, and have accomplished so much academically and personally.

I brag about you all the time.

I've been thinking about what I want to say in this letter since you're going to be a teenager now while also thinking about what it was like when I was 13.

Things have changed a lot since 1979 when I was your age. You've probably never heard of a Walkman. That's how we listened to music on the radio or tapes then if we weren't near a stereo at home. People would jog or walk with The Walkman. I was so excited when I got one for Christmas. All the kids wanted one like you and your friends wanted Ipads.

We had all kinds of weird toys from pet rocks, to fake TV dinners, spirographs, fake airports, fire stations, puppets you could knit; etc. Some of my favorite board games to play were Sorry!, Parchesi, Boggle, Operation, and Trouble.

Growing up in the 70s and experiencing life as a teenager and 20-something in the 80s my friends and I never knew it would look and be so funny now. The “high” hair, flashy clothes, over-the-top personas. I can't believe I took myself so seriously! It was all part of the times in the 80s anyway. I loved Disco dancing! Especially skating to it.

In '79 I had two good friends besides Teresa and Cheryl – Christina and Pat. Christina was down-to-earth despite her beauty and that's what I liked about her. She looked older than 13 but she didn't let that bother her. I wanted to be like her but the boys were always bothering her. I looked younger, too. I was underweight.

You are much more outgoing and confident than I was at 13 and I'm very glad of that. You're strong, creative, extremely smart, and innovative.

I want to tell you that no matter what you're up against you are from a family of survivors and fighters and so it's in your blood to get back up and fight. I don't mean that in a bad way but in a way that you don't get knocked down easily. I already know that about you because, despite your health problem, you don't let anything stop you, and I marvel about that with you. It inspires me.

You have a lot of strength for a small one. Within you is a giant of a fighter who always tries again, who never gives up.

I love our visits and I think about them afterward.

I cherish them and I love watching the animation on your face and how you laugh and smile.

One thing I'd like to leave you with is this:

When people fail you and you feel all alone, just remember this:

God is never too far.

He's just a prayer away.

I didn't write that but borrowed it from someone.

Happy 13th birthday, my precious one who I can't believe is turning “that age.”

I love you,



Terri  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

McKenna's Annual Thanksgiving Letter

51 to 15

Why New Year’s Eve is Hard for Me By Terri Rimmer