Honesty

Tonight the meeting I went to was on honesty.
I arrived a little late and didn't share although later I wanted to and didn't get to which happens often.
Instead Miss AA spewed her usual trendy words she likes to toss around that everyone oohs and aahs over. She loves looking and sounding good. It's awfully important to her.
Meanwhile, across the room, a mutual friend of ours who relapsed the other day and is struggling to stay sober, shared, and what does she do?
Starts texting.
I couldn't believe it.
But then again, why should I be surprised?
I feel so bad for this guy. My heart breaks for him.
Meanwhile, she has no compassion. She's truly heartless.
But, of course, she's never relapsed so she has no heart for it. She doesn't know the depths of hell relapse takes you to.
I'm really worried about this guy. I can't stopped thinking about what will happen to him if he doesn't get a bed at this treatment facility where he's on this waiting list.
I hate it when people text during meetings. It's big pet peeve of mine. You might as well be on the phone.
Why go to a meeting if you're going to text during the whole meeting?
There was a college student there who was talking about relapsing recently and I felt for her because she's only 18 and statistically it's very difficult for someone that young to not only get sober, but stay sober.
Well, Miss AA, couldn't hear of this, and got up to get coffee.
She's in her 40s like me and would rather not remember what it's like to be young.
I remember all too well what college was like and all the temptations around every corner. I was always amazed when I met anyone in school that didn't drink. Back in the 80s you were like an alien if you didn't drink. It wasn't so accepted as it is now.
Kids today are lucky that they have campus AA meetings and various other resources available to them.
We had none of that. The only thing they told us was "Don't Drink and Drive," which people ignored anyway.
It still amazes me when I see anyone under 21 have the guts to walk into a meeting on their own.
I didn't make it till I was 22 and only because my sister talked me into it, along with two other people.
But I wasn't there for me.
Some of the elderly people are a tad more tolerant of the young people now but they have a long way to go.
One guy doesn't want anyone to cuss.
Hey, how about just being glad they made it this far?
That's a miracle in itself.
I still cuss like a sailor but it hasn't gotten me drunk!
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

McKenna's Annual Thanksgiving Letter

51 to 15

Why New Year’s Eve is Hard for Me By Terri Rimmer