McKenna's Annual Thanksgiving Letter


Nov. 22, 2018

Dear McKenna:

Eighteen years ago I sat down to write your very first Thanksgiving letter when I was 34 years old and you were spending your first Thanksgiving with your mom and dad.

I was working as a data entry operator, living with a roommate, the re-make of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” with Jim Carey just came out, and I had a Tonkinese cat named Chaplin and a mutt, Ripley who charmed everyone.

I remember when I sat down to write that letter at my roommate’s computer looking out at his French door windows at his back yard and all the emotions I was feeling at the time – imagining you with your family at Thanksgiving, happy that you were safe and warm in your new home, content that I had made the right decision, and thankful that I could sit down and type those words to you.

I had always promised myself that every birthday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas I would sit down and write a letter to you and though I missed a couple, which I regret, I always have looked forward to doing it. When I write each one I imagine what you’re doing with your family. But I always know you are happy beyond a shadow of a doubt.

The past 18 years I have watched you grow from a baby to a little girl to a young woman I am so proud and in awe of. I have seen you battle all kinds of things and witnessed the strength in you that make me cheer for you.

Now I’m crying but it’s simply tears of gratitude.

I always seem to cry now when I write your letters but they’re tears of happiness. It’s gratitude.

I have been so blessed to be part of your life. I’ve talked to other birth moms who haven’t had that in their life and I’m so glad that I have.

You are a wonder.

When I got the news that you were graduating in December, I was so excited for you! This is such a thrilling time in your life.

And touring Texas State last week – I remember when I first visited the University of West Georgia. Back then it was West Georgia College. It was so memorable and cool to think of all the possibilities open to me. I was also accepted to Kennesaw College, a commuter school but I went with West Georgia. I had so many great times there. I still talk to some of my old college buddies and we have our private jokes and stories from 30 years ago.

Getting to see your senior pictures was so touching. Everyone said you are beautiful and you are! I remember when I had mine done. I went to a place called Fantastic Sam’s, a salon and they cut my hair and my best friend, Kim did my make-up. Back then the senior pictures were very formal and they put this black shield-like thing over the front of all the females. The guys wore suits.

Every age that you have been I have reflected back on what was going on in my life at that age and the two can’t even compare.

Your mom and dad love you so much and you are loved by so many people. My sister Cindy loved meeting you this spring and still talks about you.

No matter what you do in life you are special, you are one of a kind, and no one can replace you.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love, Terri










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

51 to 15

Why New Year’s Eve is Hard for Me By Terri Rimmer